Friday, June 26, 2009

Weekend Wonders

Well, as they say, better late than never! I've been eager to share my adventures from last weekend, but no one ever warns you how exhausting it is working a 9-to-5 job. Whew! After each busy day, I just don't have the energy to motivate myself to sit down and get my posts together. But, alas, I have a moment to catch my lovely readers up on the events from last weekend.

Sadly, the weather was a little dreary here in the District of Columbia last weekend, so my photos are a little reflective of this. But nonetheless, it was a wonderful weekend exploring the area a bit more. As my first actual weekend being a tourist-in-residence I decided to head up to the mall area to visit the Smithsonian museums and walk around the sites.

I spend about half of Saturday exploring the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum - which is too cool. Such a fun place to poke around. I really want to go see Night at the Museum 2 at the IMAX here since it was partially filmed at this very museum!

The rest of the day I walked around the area - from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial to the White House - just taking in the sights and sounds of our nation's capital. It's still so exciting for me to be in the presence of such history and change.

The Capitol!

"Four Score and seven years ago..." - The Lincoln Memorial


The big man himself!

The White House, this is literally as close as you can get, they have it under such tight security.

The Washington Monument - I'm trying to psych myself to actually go up.

Smithsonian Air and Space Museum - SO fun!



This weekend I am hoping to catch the Smithsonian's Folk Festival. Hopefully I'll keep up better with the updates!

Ciao Bellas!
AMS

4 comments:

Kate said...

Go up to the top of the monument! It isn't scary (if you are afraid of heights)-you just take an elevator up and the top is completely enclosed (the windows aren't even open if I remember correctly)

ams said...

Good to know! Thanks for the info :)

Posh Peach said...

I love the air and space museum! Especially the freezedried ice cream :) Have you seen Night at the Museum 2? Your pictures here remind me of the funny scenes from that movie!

ams said...

I missed the freeze dried ice cream! I think that might require another trip back :) I haven't seen the movie yet, but I really want to!! They offer screening of it inside the museum - I thought that would be a fun activity to see it where it was filmed!!