Saturday, April 11, 2009

Extending relationships

As a PR gal, I generally feel that I am more connected to the nature of building relationships than those around me that aren't in my field. I don't specifically try to make it my business to know everyone, but the things that I am involved in, I do try to make it my business to know something about everyone. For example, there are approximately 150 girls in my sorority, but I can say with confidence that I know at least 1 thing about each and everyone one of them. This is part of why I know I was meant for the PR field, because this comes so naturally to me, it's something I want to go out of my way to do. To me, that's a huge part of Public Relations that I feel is overlooked so frequently - the simple act of building and maintaining relationships with those around us.

Yet personally, the act of building relationships with people comes pretty naturally. What is often more challenging is building a relationship with God. So, I've decided to actively make "Christian" a verb, rather than noun or an adjective, in my vocabulary because it implies action. It isn't just what I am, it's what I am doing too. I've always been of the belief that "sitting in church doesn't make you any more of a Christian than standing in a garage makes you a car," but that motto only goes so far until you finally take the next step towards creating a relationship with your Savior. Being a Christian means having a living relationship with God, a relationship like you might have with your best friend. It means opening the doors of communication to learn more about your Creator and to allow him to know you fully in return.

I'm amazed at how long it took me to realize this, since I do feel that I have been a Christian for most of my life. Maybe it just takes someone else to help you open your eyes and to show you that He is always there, waiting for you to find Him too.



xoxo
-ams

1 comment:

R Leit said...

you are beautiful, lili! and so is this :)